There are three tiers:
- Rules of Golf (Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews)
- Victorian Golf League
- Local Rules (determined by the Committee or Course Managers)
Eligibility of players
The Victorian Golf League has By Laws which specify the eligibility of players for competitions. OGC also has rules regarding eligibility.
To qualify for any Club competition, members must:
- Have been a full financial member for at least 3 months prior to the date of the competition.
- Submit at least 6 cards in singles competition played at Oakleigh Golf Club in the 12 months prior to the date of competition.
Major events include:
- Summer, Autumn, Spring and Winter Cups
- Captain’s Trophy
- Oakleigh Cup
- President’s Plate
- Monthly Medals & Medal of Medallists
Should any of the major events result in a tie, the winner will be decided after an 18-hole play-off. The Captain will arrange a mutually-agreed date and time for the play-off.
Guests are not eligible to compete in Major Club or Medal events.
Guests may play in other competitions, up to six (6) times during the year, if the guest:
- is accompanied by another OGC member.
- is a financial member of another affiliated club.
- has a Golf Australia handicap.
Guests, however, welcome to play in the round for NTPs and longest drive.
Liquor Licence Hours
The Club is licensed for the sale and consumption of alcohol on Saturdays between 11 am and 2 pm. Members under the age of 18 years are not permitted to purchase or consume alcohol on the club premises. Non-alcoholic drinks are available for purchase. Tap water is freely available.
The Club reserves the right to refuse service if:
- The law required it (the person is unduly intoxicated or disorderly).
- The safety of the patron or others is in jeopardy (from the further consumption of alcohol).
- Licensee considers it warranted (provided it is not discriminatory).
The Nearest The Pin (NTP) competition starts 1st week of December and finishes last week of November annually. Each player shall have only one shot at the designated holes per round.
The Eclectic competition starts 1st week of December and finishes last week of November. Birdies do not count in Ambrose competitions.
Slow play is not tolerated. Failure to do so may incur a 2 stroke penalty at the discretion of the Captain.
All matches are to be played in the spirit of golf and sportsmanship. We don’t play for cattle stations, but we expect honesty.
Competition winners are published in the Sunday Herald Sun!!
- Loose impediments like twigs, leaves, stones and other natural objects in bunkers can be removed. However, the ball must not be moved.
- Ball in a clean area in the bunker – ball cannot be touched even if it is plugged.
- Unplayable ball in the bunker (Player unable to make a swing or advance the ball)
- Stroke-and-distance relief (refer image below), one penalty stroke.
- Back-on-the-line relief in the bunker, one penalty stroke.
- Lateral relief in the bunker, one penalty stroke.
- Drop the ball directly behind the bunker, two penalty strokes.
Temporary Covid19 Rules
- Ball lands in a footprint or divot mark – player can move the ball elsewhere no closer to the hole without a penalty. DO NOT clean the ball, just lift and place.
These rules are an abridged version of the rules for easy reference.
For full details, refer to Rule 19 The Rules of Golf at: https://www.randa.org/Rog/2019/Rules/The-Rules-of-Golf/Rule-19#19-3
Players are also encouraged to get a copy of ‘Player’s Edition of the Rules of Golf’ Effective January 2019, published by R&A and USGA.
This booklet is endorsed by Golf Australia, the governing body for golf in Australia.